Monday, February 21, 2011

Writer's Block

Nancy and I went to the "Writer's Workshop" at the FHU Lectures.  It was an appropriate choice - after all, each of us has written articles and other things.  We listened to Aubrey Johnson talk about "why" and "how", and Neil Anderson talked to the group about many things from the publisher's point of view.  One thing that came up over and over was the importance of just making oneself write "something".  So, here I am, just writing "something".  I suppose that was the reason for reviving the blog - I need to write, and I need someone "looking over my shoulder, so to speak, pushing me on.
I don't know what causes writer's block, but I know it is real.  A few years ago, there was always something bouncing around in my head that I needed to write down; lately, there seems to be very little.  Is it "life" that gets in the way?  Have difficult experiences whittled down the confidence I once felt that what I wanted to say was worth saying and worth someone's time to read?  Or did I just get tired?
No answers surfaced when I posed those questions.  So, I'll go back to the workshop suggestions -- I'll just write, and trust that something sensible will arise from the jumble of thoughts that trickle out.
Oh, and thanks to all who "blog" and don't seem to mind letting other people look into their heads and hearts.  I appreciate the example!

No comments:

Post a Comment